I kept trying to make this post be about how, thanks to my dad, I have a fairly decent working knowledge of science fiction, but am not necessarily a science fiction FAN. Mostly because all my favorite sci-fi is still primarily classed as horror. It seriously took me five paragraphs to say that. Which seemed inefficient and off-topic. So I deleted it.
Then I tried to tell you why I like the movie Looper so, so incredibly much. But I wound up telling you the whole plot, because I am a spoiler-monster.
Okay, I’m going to try one more time, starting now.
I often like science fiction in a casual, curious way where I’m adequately thought-provoked. But even though I truly find it interesting, a lot of times, there’s still this disconnect. Because even more than smart, thinky, technological ideas and big philosophical, sociological musings, I like grit and romance and corruption. I like deeply personal and unsettling questions of morality and responsibility and honor.
When it comes to the future, I like all my futures to be the sexy noir detective version.
That is Looper.
And because every time I try to describe it, I stop being coherent, I’m just going to give up and tell you my Like-List:
- Excellent line-by-line writing
- With consistent-but-subtle characterization
- And sharp, lighthanded world-building
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt wearing a suit
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt playing Bruce Willis
- Dangerously-addictive boutique future-drugs
- Organized crime
- Time travel
- Emily Blunt because I ♥ her
- Jeff Daniels because I ♥ him
- A dystopic society that’s worse than ours, but not that different
- Telekinesis With Severe Limitations
- Telekinesis With Severe Capabilities
- Child actors who can actually act
- Fast cars
- Honorable intentions
- More stuff that I can’t tell you here, because that would spoil it
So instead, here’s this trailer:
(If possible, you should watch it fullscreen.)
(Also, you should probably just go see the movie.)